Friday, September 17, 2010

Realizing His Plan (sort of...)

A lot has happened in a month and a half.  In early August, Jon and I had two huge prayers answered: we both got jobs on the same day.  Jon got a job working as a JSA (Job Search Assistance) Instructor, and I recieved a job as a receptionist.  The jobs came just in time; the next day BFS called and, had we not just been hried, Jon would have agreed to go back to Afghanistan for the 5th time. 

About a month ago Jon also did a phone interview for a computer company, and two weeks ago did a face-to-face interview as well.  He got the job!  I can't even explain how shocked we were.  Not only did Jon think his interview only went so-so... but it NEVER occurred to us that God had this in the works.  His new job is AMAZING!  Great pay, great benefits, great leadership... and an industry (computer engineering) that is growing rapidly.  It also brings with it a move to Fresno that we're both super excited about!  We'll be living near the Wanke family and other friends from high school!

This experience, while exciting, has also been humble and embarrassing.  Those close to me know that this summer was (for me) one of grumbling, complaining, and bitterness.  August 26th was a painful day knowing that it meant that I would have to spend a whole year waiting to see if my passion for teaching would be realized.  In plain and simple terms... I was a brat.  Thankfully, I have a husband who was still loving and kind through a time that was difficult. 

I was humbled because I was instantly reminded that I ignored the knowledge that God's plan is greater.  While I sat in my room moping because God wasn't giving either of us jobs, God was up there planning an amazing opportunity.  While I was whining and crying that my dream wasn't being fulfilled, God was making me available for a move that would benefit my FAMILY.  I was selfish and disrespectful to Jon and Nicholas by not considering that maybe MY dream wasn't what was best for our FAMILY.  I was also embarrassed because I acted so childishly.

In the end, I'm extremely thankful to God.  I'm thankful that He didn't answer my prayers for a job.  If I was working now, Jon wouldn't be available to take this amazing opportunity.  If we were stuck in Bakersfield he would be passing up something that will open an amazing number of doors.  He'd be stuck in a job that doesn't really utilize his skills and is temporary.  I still pray that God's plan has me teaching next year.  Heck, I pray His plan lets me start subbing this year... but I'm learning to trust more because when it comes down to it, He knows what He's doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment