Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I just don't understand...

Seriously... what are people teaching their kids today?  The past few weeks have shown an increase media awareness of the hate crimes in our country.  Most recently, a young boy in Techachapi and a student at Rutgers committed suicide after being harassed and tormented over their sexuality.

Now I'll be completely upfront and probably loose a few friends in the process.  I believe homosexuality is wrong.  I believe that God intended physical intimacy to be between a man and a woman.  I believe what the Bible says when it terms homosexuality a sin.

I also believe the Bible when it says that sin is sin and that ALL sins are equal.  My sin of coveting my neighbor's things is no better or worse or less damning.  I've definitely lacked in the "honoring your father and mother" in my past and I'm sure I've taken the Lord's name in vain.  Which means that unless I'm going to get harrassed and socially damned for coveting my friend's house... this is all ridiculous.  We ALL sin and fall short of the glory of God.  NONE of us are flawless or perfect.  So what makes us think that we can judge someone for their choices.  Do we want to make OUR walk an open book?  I sure as heck don't.  I work daily to live my life for God but I fall short regularly and the LAST thing that is going to help me is someone treating me like crap for it. 

Fine... if you want to choose the verses of the Bible that say not to "break bread" with those who are living an ungodly lifestyle... then don't.  But trying to push your idea of what they should be through harrassment, violence, and outright cruelty is unacceptable.  When Jesus came He gave us two "new" commandments... love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind... and love your neighbor as yourself.  Is the Christian community today obeying Christ?  I'm starting to wonder...

And when it comes to kids?  Monkey see... monkey do.  Yes, kids do learn hate from other kids... but hate that is cruel often starts at a much more intimate source.  If you're saying hateful things, your kids pick up on it.

It just makes me sad.  Two sets of parents are mourning the loss of their children who should still be alive.

2 comments:

  1. Very powerful! We talked about this a little bit at my MOPS group this morning. I agree with you. monkey see...monkey do. It all starts at home. If your child sees you negatively judging someone they start to pick up on the little comments. We have to remember that our children look up to us, as mom and dad. They want to be just like us. Everything they do they learn and assume is what they need to do to be like mom or dad. So if we as parents don't pay attention to the way we carry ourselves and treat others then our children wont either.
    I worry to death that Kenz is being bullied at school already or that she may be bullying other kids. Until recently i admit that i havent payed much attention to the fact. Lately I have been making sure that i stop the road rage, or that i stop teasing out of fun, just so that she doesnt confuse teasing with going too far one day. And it's wrong and hurtful and we never want to teach our children ways like that. Bottom line...it all starts at home and we as parents have to know how and when to live out the right way!
    (I just noticed that when i post my comment you may not be able to tell who posted this. lol)
    Samantha Branch

    ReplyDelete