Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Intimacy...

I remember when I was younger (like, high school) thinking that intimacy = sex.  Either intimacy led to sex or intimacy was part of sex... but intimacy and sex were linked.  If you actually look up the definition on dictionary.com, it will even list as #6 sexual intercourse.

If there's one thing that God has taught me through my marriage... it's that intimacy and sex are NOT always linked.  Intimacy i can be shared with your spouse in so many ways... and it's a blessing.

Last night before Jon and I fell asleep, we prayed together.  I love that I can just openly pray with him.  I remember being in high school and wondering if I'd ever be able to really pray with my husband.  Not just say the "proper" words, but really just talk to God with my husband.  When I pray... there's nothing pretty about it.  I'm not trying to use flowing words or poetry or anything.  I just talk.  I talk as if I'm talking to my Father, because I am.  I laugh, I cry... I just have a conversation.  To be able to do that alongside my husband has got to be one of the most special experiences in my marriage.  Last night wasn't the first time or anything, but it brought to mind how thankful I am for that.

I also feel so honored to be able to hear Jon pray.  It's like it gives me a little window into a special part of Jon that few people will ever see.  I get to hear him be humbled to his Creator... I get to hear him lead our family... I get to hear him just be so open and honest.  Sometimes I get teary eyed not because of WHAT he's saying, but because I get to hear it!  I get to hear such a special conversation.

It really was special... and intimate.  I'm so glad that God changed my definition of intimacy.

Right now I think my biggest prayer and biggest need is PEACE... I keep singing Nicholas' "Peace Like a River" and hoping that with time and devotion, it can become my new anthem.

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful, Jess. I think as often as we (in general) discuss religion, most of us never let anyone else into that space that we share only with our beliefs and what/Whom we believe in. That the two of you do share that is the height of intimacy. Wonderful. <3

    ReplyDelete